Classes & Workshops > Color Class Info & Materials List
3-day Workshop at West Linn Lutheran, April 27-29
Information, Materials and FAQ
Click here to register
DATES AND TIMES
Thursday through Saturday, April 27-28-29, 2017
9:15 am to 4 pm; please arrive 15 minutes early
West Linn Lutheran Church
20390 Willamette Drive
West Linn, Ore. 97068
TOOLS AND MATERIALS
We provide: all the painting surfaces you’ll need for the exercises will be provided, as well as handouts. No brushes* are needed in this class; we use palette knives to mix and apply paint. This keeps colors cleaner and means we can work without brush-cleaning solvents.
What you need to bring
- Two palette knives:
a small one, 1-1/8” in length (such as Cheap Joe’s item CJPK40)
and a medium-size one, 2-7/8” in length (item CJPK50)
- Richeson Grey Matters Paper Palette, size 12x16”
- Oil Paint: Quinacridone Red 37ml or Naphthol Red 37ml, Cadmium Yellow Light 37 ml or Indian Yellow 37 ml, Phthalo Blue 37 ml or Ultramarine Blue 37 ml, Ivory or Mars Black 37 ml, and Titanium White 150 ml. We recommend Gamblin; the 1980 series is a good value “student grade” paint made with the same pigments as the “artist grade” paints.
- for oil painters: a drying medium such as Liquin Impasto, Old Masters Maroger, Old Masters Venetian Wax Medium, or Gamblin’s Galkyd Gel (in a tube).
- A sketchbook or notebook (please note that you can use oil paint in a regular sketchbook, which is a useful way to keep color notes and written notes together)
- A roll of paper towels.
- A pencil or pen.
- Lunch, snacks, and water to drink.
FEES AND PAYMENT
$250 tuition plus $10 materials fee
To register, contact Sandy at 503-539-4105, or by email at email@example.com.
Make checks out to Aimee Erickson in the amount of $260, and mail to:
2304 SW Idaho Street
Portland, OR 97239
Your registration will be confirmed via email, and receipt of payment confirmed also by email after March 27 (Sandy is out of town until then).
Cancellation policy: Cancellations requested more than three weeks before the start date of the workshop will receive a full refund less $50 processing fee. Cancellations requested within three weeks of the start date of the workshop will receive a 50% refund on tuition, and a full refund for the materials fee. You may transfer your registration to another student if you wish.
Can I paint in a medium other than oil paint? Yes. Please see the Tools and Materials list.
I can’t make all three days; can I split my registration with a friend? No, because the material presented builds on itself.
I am new to painting/my chosen medium; is this a good class for beginners? Yes.
I am not a beginner. Can I use pigments other than the ones listed on the Tools and Materials list? Sure! Bring what you have; questions of palette and pigments will be addressed in class.
I have some specific questions about color. Bring ‘em! There will be time for questions.